LET'S GET CONNECTED!
Never miss a blog post from Paige PR! Our digital newsletter is packed full of actionable insights designed to inspire clear communication and real results to grow your business. Enter your info to subscribe!
How To Get Your Company Involved With The Community
October 25, 2019
By Tyler Odom, account executive
It’s no secret that millennials (those born between 1979 and 1995) and Generation Z (those born between 1996 and 2010) are skeptical consumers. With the steady rise of influencer marketing and celebrity endorsements on social media, these wary cohorts turn to online customer reviews and word-of-mouth communication before making a purchase. And they don’t mind taking their time during the decision-making process.
As a result, earning consumers’ trust is more difficult than ever. That’s why implementing tactics like community relations into your company’s marketing strategies is key. Community relations refers to the methods companies use to interact with the communities in which they operate. These methods could include sponsoring a local charity event, matching employee donations to nonprofits, participating in holiday food and toy drives and much more.
Community relations has the power to foster a positive, human connection between your company and the community, thus, gaining consumers’ trust and loyalty. Giving back not only contributes to improving the community but it can also serve as good publicity for your business.
Additionally, implementing community relations into your marketing strategies helps your company cultivate beneficial relationships with key community leaders and respected organizations, which can come in handy during difficult situations. Also, demonstrating your company’s sensitivity to the community’s issues naturally attracts high-performing employees, boosts employee morale and garners a higher retention rate.
By gaining consumers’ trust and loyalty, your company’s position in the market can improve with an increase in sales and financing from satisfied investors. Furthermore, a dynamic community relations strategy can help minimize the negative impact of a company scandal or public relations blunder.
With the holiday season upon us, it is the perfect time to implement or revamp your organization’s community relations strategies. Here are some ways to get started:
- Evaluate your community’s needs. In what areas does your community need help? Are there any timely or pressing needs such as recovery from a recent natural disaster?
- Examine your company’s DNA. Review your core values, mission statement and founder’s views. What nonprofit organization or volunteer group would best align with your company’s DNA?
- Brainstorm ideas with your employees. Encourage your employees to share organizations or charities they are passionate about. This is a great way to involve and encourage your team members to participate, while also boosting employee morale.
- Connect with the community. Once you have a good idea of how you would like to give back, reach out to the organizations and see how your company can contribute. During the holiday season, many local charities host special campaigns and events that need volunteers and company sponsorships to bring them to fruition. Connecting now could even lead to a long-term partnership.
This holiday season is the perfect time to get involved in your community and develop your community relations initiatives. Local charities and volunteer groups do so much to help their communities, but they can’t do it alone. By bolstering your company’s community relations, you will not only improve the quality of your community’s life but also contribute to achieving your business’s long-term goals and success.
* As seen in the Houston Business Journal on October 25, 2019.